Athletics & Fitness Center
The Athletics and Fitness Center, completed in 2000, is a 53,000-square-foot building that includes a 1,200-seat basketball gymnasium, an elevated jogging track, a 5,000-square-foot weight training/cardiovascular facility, administrative offices, a multipurpose room, locker rooms, and a laundry/uniform room.
The fitness room contains cardiovascular equipment such as treadmills and stationary bikes, free weights and machine weights.
Next to Vassar’s nine-hole, par 34 golf course that is available to the Vassar community.
Members of the Vassar community may reserve space during open recreation time at Walker Fieldhouse at least 48 hours in advance by making a Facility Reservation Request or emailing Bruce Gillman, Assistant Director of Athletics/Facilities.
Current schedule available in AFC office suite and at AFC’s control desk.
- Show valid Vassar ID (available to all Vassar College students, faculty, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and their respective family members). Children 16 and younger must be accompanied by a parent and supervised at all times.
- Enter through main entrance only: Anyone allowing others through any other door will be asked to leave. Privileges are subject to suspension for habitual offenders.
- No outside shoes: Shoes worn outside cannot be worn during workouts-change into a clean pair of non-marking sneakers in the Atrium or locker rooms.
- Clean your shoes: During inclement weather, minimize tracking mud, dirt and snow into the building.
- Guests must be registered: by submitting our Guest Registration Form at least 24 hours in advance of visit.
- Who can sign in a guest? Vassar Community members with valid Vassar ID (except children of employees) are allowed to sign in one guest age 18 or older and assume responsibility for guest and thier behavior. Host must remain in the same area of facility as their guest.
- Guest pass/liability waiver: Guest passes are valid only on date of issue and must be carried at all times. Anyone without a guest pass or unaccompanied by their host will be asked to leave. Guests must sign a liability waiver before entering facility.
- Locker rooms located in Walker Fieldhouse.
- Follow directions of running/walking indicated daily to prolong track surface life.
Fitness & Weight room
- Admittance: Vassar students and anyone 18 or older with valid Vassar ID unless supervised by certified strength or personal trainer.
- Report any inappropriate activity, problems or injury immediately to the desk attendant or Jon Martin, (845) 837-5344.
- CYBEX and Cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, stair-masters, stationary bicycles):
- Require training on proper use and mechanics. Call (845) 837-7471 for times.
- Limited to 30 minutes if others are waiting (sign-in at the fitness desk for the next available machine).
- Towels and simple green are provided for wipe down-clean following each use.
- Physical Education class members have priority during class time.
- Attire: No sandals/flip-flops. Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Bags: Store all bags in a locker - either in alcove or in Walker.
- Food: No food or water permitted (except water bottles).
- Quiet Hours: are from 6-9am (stereo and TV volume off). Otherwise, desk attendant controls stereo and TVs.
- Weights: Do not drop or throw. Clear all bars and return to appropriate racks.